Sewing Cabinet Makeover
This is the tutorial for the sewing cabinet makeover you guys liked so much. On the earlier post I shared the decoupage tutorial and today I’m going to show you the paint I used and tell you why I had to drill a hole for the knob although there was a hole there already but it didn’t go all the way through….and more details. Oh, and I also have the tutorial for the desk chair makeover including where to find the fabric.
I’m glad you’re here and thanks so much for the great comments on the “Chock” Paint makeover!
You guys remember this sewing machine cabinet I bought for $2.50. It had a lot of issues. I removed the sewing machine myself. The JTS is always helping me and I gave him a break on this one because he wasn’t feeling well. I peeled off the veneer on the top of the cabinet because it was mostly loose anyway.
The JTS added two screws to the top of the cabinet so it would not come open. Now it’s a table top or desk top.
The top was really rough where the veneer was removed. I used the electric sander to smooth it out. You can see all the dust from the sanding on the edges of the top. Now the top is ready for the fabric and Mod Podge.
Next I found some white paint in my stash. Still trying to use paint I have on hand. Just about the only paint I buy these days is the oops paint when I find a good color. The paint I chose for the project is Delta Ceramcoat Chalk/Matte, color White Lace.
One coat of paint wasn’t enough as you can see in this photo.
I didn’t notice until I started painting the cabinet that there was a big hole where I removed some of the working sewing machine parts. I had the JTS cut a piece of board to fill the hole but I forgot to get a photo before I took it to the shop. If the cabinet isn’t sold I’ll try to get a photo. I like to be thorough in my photo stories.
I lightly distressed the paint by hand using flexible 150 grit sandpaper. I think you are really supposed to wax this paint but I didn’t and it’s fine.
Last order of business for the table was to add a pull. The front of the cabinet had a small drawer area that flipped down but the knob was gone. And when I tried to put a knob in the hole I found the hole didn’t go all the way through the wood. That’s not a problem. Just grabbed the drill and finished up the hole.
I found this knob at Hobby Lobby and as you can see it matches the fabric I used to cover the chair seat and decoupage the top of the cabinet.
That’s the paint stuff for the sewing machine cabinet except for the decoupage which I shared earlier. If you missed the decoupage tutorial I have a link to the info at the bottom of this post.
I bought this chair or either the JTS did at auction. I can’t remember but I’m sure it didn’t cost much, less than $5. Removing the seat is easy, just flip the chair upside down and remove the screws to the seat.
I wanted a nice contrast to the cabinet so I chose black paint for the chair. The paint is FolkArt Home Décor Chalk and you can see it covers in one coat. Nice.
I distressed the paint lightly.
I did wax the chair because black chalk finish or matte paint is bad about showing chalky white finger prints and other things when you don’t wax it. The wax I used is also FolkArt Home Décor.
You guys have seen me cover a chair seat a bunch of times. If you need a tutorial you can find it here….How To Re-cover A Chair Seat.
Only thing left to do is put the seat back on the chair.
Sewing Cabinet Makeover
Now you have all the details on the sewing cabinet makeover. Oh wait, the fabric info. I bought my fabric remnant at Hobby Lobby but I found a place where you can buy it online if you’re interested. It is pretty fabric. I found it on eBay here.
If you missed the decoupage tutorial it’s here…..How To Use Mod Podge On Fabric.
Thanks for being here and if you ever have any questions you can email me, [email protected] Have a great day, Kathy