What a wonderful dessert and so easy to put together! You will love this cherry chip cool whip pie recipe if you want something delicious without all the baking fuss. The pie has a crunchy crust and a light, fluffy filling, with sweet chocolate chips and Maraschino Cherries to top it off.
It’s almost like your favorite ice cream sundae all wrapped up in a scrumptious piece of pie. Be sure to keep this recipe handy!
Fluffy Cherry Chip Cool Whip Pie
Makes 8 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 4 hours
1 prepared graham cracker crust (I used Keebler)
1 package of Cream Cheese – 8 ounces – softened
1 cup of Powdered Sugar
1 can of Cherry Pie Filling – 21-ounce can
1 carton of Cool Whip – 8 ounces (plus more for topping)
1 1/2 cups of mini chocolate chips – divided – see instructions
1 small jar of Maraschino Cherries – to top
1 can of Reddi-whip Whipped Cream – to top
Mix the Cream Cheese and Powdered Sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the Pie Filling and stir well to blend. Add the Cool Whip and the mini chocolate chips and stir until completely mixed.
Pour the filling into the prepared Graham Cracker Crust and smooth it on top. Sprinkle additional mini chocolate chips on top. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
To serve, cut in 2-to-3-inch pieces, garnish with Reddi-whip whipped cream or additional Cool Whip, and top with a Maraschino Cherry. Enjoy!
If topping pie slices with Cool Whip, you’ll need to buy the 12 or 16-ounce carton, and place 8 ounces in the pie, and place the remainder of the Cool Whip back in the freezer until time for use. If you’re buying the 12-ounce carton, you would use 3/4 of the carton in the pie and save 1/4 in the freezer. If you’re buying the 16-ounce carton, you would use half of the carton in the pie and save the remainder, or the other half back into the freezer until it is time to serve the pie.
You can purchase a can of Reddi-whip whipped cream and use that instead of Cool Whip to top the pie for serving. Reddi-whip is found in the Dairy section of your local grocery store.
Tips for Making Cherry Chip Fluff Pie:
- Cream Cheese Consistency: Ensure the cream cheese is softened to room temperature for a smooth and lump-free filling.
- Chilling Time: Allow the pie to chill for at least 4 hours or overnight. This helps the filling set and enhances the flavors, creating a more cohesive and delightful dessert.
- Limited Room Temperature Exposure: While it’s safe to display the pie at room temperature during serving, prolonged exposure can lead to softening of the filling. Keep it at room temperature for no more than 2 hours.
- Freezing Considerations: Cream-based pies like this one may not freeze well due to potential texture changes. If you need to prepare in advance, it’s often best to freeze the unfilled crust and add the filling before serving.
- Freshness Reminder: Consume the pie within 2-3 days for the best flavor and texture. The crust may start to soften over time, so enjoy it while it’s at its freshest.
Following these tips and storage guidelines ensures that your Cherry Chip Fluff Pie remains a delightful and creamy treat from the first slice to the last.
How about an Italian Cream Cake…..
Author: Kathy Owen
Kathy Owen is the founder of the home decor blog Petticoat Junktion where she shares tutorials on painting furniture and upcycling thrifty finds into unique home décor. Her DIY projects have been featured on the Home Depot Blog, Plaid Crafts, Behr Designer Series, and in numerous magazines. Kathy’s newest website is HappyHomeDIY.com