These homemade cinnamon roll pancakes have a delicious butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar mixture swirled through the batter. Then the cooked pancakes are topped off with a sweet drizzle of cream cheese icing. Make them for breakfast or a decadent dessert!
The fluffiness of these from-scratch pancakes makes them taste light and fresh. Add just a squeeze of syrup for more sweetness.
Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
Servings: 8 large pancakes
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 6 minutes | Total Time: 26 minutes
Cinnamon Roll Pancake Ingredients:
2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil, plus extra for cooking
2 medium eggs
1 ⅓ cup milk
Cinnamon Swirl Ingredients:
½ cup or 1 stick of unsalted butter
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon cinnamon
Cream Cheese Drizzle Ingredients:
4 tablespoons butter, room temp
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 ⅔ cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions for Cinnamon Swirl:
- Place the butter stick in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in the microwave until melted.
- Add brown sugar and cinnamon to the bowl and mix well. The mixture will be fairly thick and grainy.
- Add the mixture to a piping bag, or a gallon ziplock bag, and snip off a small corner. Set aside.
Directions for Cinnamon Roll Pancakes:
- Add canola oil, eggs, and milk to a large mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk until smooth and few lumps are left.
- Drizzle some canola oil in a skillet or griddle and heat over medium to medium/low heat.
- Pour ⅓ cup of pancake batter for each pancake.
- Swirl a generous amount of the prepared cinnamon swirl mixture onto each pancake.
- Continue to cook the pancakes until small bubbles form and pop – approximately 3 minutes.
- Flip the pancakes and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until they are firm in the center.
- Transfer the pancakes onto a plate or cooling rack, cinnamon swirl side up.
- Once they cool slightly, swirl on a little extra of the cinnamon swirl mixture. This part is optional.
Directions for Drizzle:
- Add butter and cream cheese to a large bowl, and beat with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Spoon the drizzle into a piping bag, or gallon ziplock bag, and snip off a very small corner.
- Drizzle generously onto a warm stack of pancakes and serve.
Tips: Don’t over-stir the pancake batter because it can make the pancakes tough. Only flip the pancakes once.
Author: Kathy Owen
Kathy Owen is the founder of the home decor blog Petticoat Junktion where she shares tutorials on painting furniture and upcycling thrifty finds into unique home décor. Her DIY projects have been featured on the Home Depot Blog, Plaid Crafts, Behr Designer Series, and in numerous magazines. Kathy’s newest website is HappyHomeDIY.com