disclosure: affiliate links may be used in this post.
DIY Dominoes Coasters
Good Morning and welcome to our first ever Thrift Store Decor Makeover Challenge.
It’s going to be a monthly thing around here.
I posted about the makeover challenge on Sunday because I couldn’t wait to tell you about it!
For the challenge I made…..
DIY Dominoes Coasters from my thrift store finds.
And if that wasn’t enough…..
I made Dominoes Magnets too.
It all started when I found these pretty dominoes at the thrift store right up the street from me.
Now that tag says I paid 99 cents for the bag of dominoes but since I get the “better with age” discount, they were only 70 cents.
I loved the color and clear acrylic look.
I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with them but I had to have them anyway.
I found inspiration on Pinterest.
The roll of cork has been in the workshop for a while.
The granddaughter and I use it for all kinds of projects.
I laid out the dominoes….
…then used a razor blade to cut the cork.
The one with the yellow handle worked the best.
Probably because it had the newest sharpest blade.
Then I used Elmer’s glue to adhere the dominoes to the cork.
I set a weight on them while they were drying.
The next part is where I tell you how I messed up.
I glued the dominos to the cork but I didn’t glue the dominoes to each other……duh!
You guys wouldn’t believe the number of times I mess things up.
I grabbed the E-6000 and a toothpick and ran glue in between the dominoes.
I let the glue harden and they were done.
I only had enough dominoes to make 3 coasters.
I started to just make a pair but what the heck.
A trio sounded better.
I had three dominoes left and I spotted the magnets hanging on the pegboard….brainstorm.
I have to say the magnet project was much easier than the coasters.
Although neither project was hard.
I would give both projects an easy rating of 2 on a scale of 1-5…1 being the easiest.
Seriously, they’re both great projects for kids to make.
Just watch them around the E-6000.
That stuff is pretty potent.
I would estimate the cost of both projects to be about $2 considering the dominoes, magnets, cork, and glue in the equation.
I’m excited to be working with 5 awesome diy/home décor bloggers on this challenge.
Click the “pink links” below to see what my team mates created!
What do you think of the domino projects…and the series.
Visit everyone and tell me your favorite makeover.
Have a great day,